Primary Locations: Montreal, Quebec
Employee Status: Regular
This position reports to the Chief Tax Advisor, Financial Markets.
As a member of the tax department, you will be primarily dedicated to advising the Financial Markets sector of the Bank. This will include advising on the tax aspects of complex financial instruments, products and transactions, including derivatives, structured products and securities lending. You will also assist in evaluating and managing tax risk related to such instruments, products and transactions. In doing so, you will work in close collaboration with, and provide support to, the Chief Tax Advisor, Financial Markets.
This position may be located in Montreal or Toronto, depending on the preference of the successful candidate. Candidate may be expected to travel with some frequency between Montreal and Toronto.
- Support the business objectives of the Financial Markets sector by delivering a Red Carpet client experience
- Contribute to the financial results and health of the Bank by identifying and mitigating tax risk
- Engage with the different sectors of the Bank on complex files
- Innovate, add value, maintain sound practices and increase efficiencies
- Be proactive, convenient and accessible in all your internal and external interactions
Specifically, you will:
- Perform detailed technical tax analysis
- Provide advice directly to various partners in the business line
- Analyze and assess tax risk and propose mitigation measures when needed
- Prepare internal legal memoranda summarizing technical analysis undergone and advice given
- Ensure transactions are properly documented for tax purposes and that legal agreements contain appropriate tax clauses
- Provide assistance in relation to CRA audit and/or litigation activity
- Develop a subject matter expertise in the taxation of capital markets transactions and complex financial instruments
- Be a member of the bar or law society of any Canadian province
- Minimum 3 years experience as a tax lawyer in any Canadian province
- Possess strong analytical and synthesis skills
- Possess strong communication skills (written and spoken)
- Able to work autonomously
- Team player
- Bilingualism, both spoken and written (English and French), an asset
We strive to be an inclusive organization where all employees are valued. National Bank stands out for its many initiatives to promote inclusion, making it a Canada-wide leader in diversity.
Unposting Date: 2019-05-21
Job Number: FIN008FQ
Posting Date: 2019-04-17