Primary Locations: Montreal, Quebec
Employee Status: Regular
The Chief Analyst – U.S. Accounting and Regulatory Reporting, is part of a team that oversees the production of statutory and regulatory reports for National Bank of Canada’s New York Branch (the “New York Branch”) as well as for National Bank of Canada Financial Inc. (“NBCFI”), the U.S. broker-dealer subsidiary of National Bank of Canada (“NBC”).
The Chief Analyst will be dedicated to the New York Branch’s reporting activities which are conducted out from Montreal.The New York Branch was established in 1983 in order to satisfy NBC’s large customers’ cross-border banking needs. The New York Branch provides commercial banking services to corporations and financial institutions. These clients are primarily medium or large Canadian entities or the U.S. subsidiaries/affiliates of Canadian entities that have an existing account with NBC. The New York Branch also plays a major role in the Bank’s U.S. dollar funding activities.
More information about your role:
- Participate in the month-end financial close process by preparing various journal entries and general ledger account reconciliations while ensuring account balances are accurate and complete
- Analyze, reconcile and review all accounts under your responsibility by performing reconciliations to sub-systems and variance analysis of corresponding revenue/balance sheet items, highlighting trends, and following up on questions/concerns
- Prepare monthly financial statements in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles
- Prepare various U.S. regulatory reports (FFIEC 002, FFIEC 019, TIC BC, TIC BL-1, TIC BQ-2, TIC BQ-3, TIC S, FR 2900, etc.) filed on a weekly, monthly or quarterly basis with the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank and the New York Department of Financial Services
- Prepare various U.S. statistical reports (BE-605, BE-12, BE-15, BE-180) filed on a periodic basis with the U.S. Department of Commerce
- Maintain a report of aged account items and balances and work proactively with members of other teams (Operations, Transactional Accounting, etc.) to address situations that need prompt resolution
- Prepare various internal reports distributed out to Operations staff and Senior Management of the New York Branch
- On a quarterly basis, compile financial data as requested by the parent company for its consolidated financial statements and regulatory reports
- Maintain an end-to-end comprehension of systems and processes that are in place to record intercompany revenue and expense recharges and ensure these intercompany transactions are recorded correctly and on a timely basis
- Maintain and update the team’s written procedures on a continuous basis
- Actively participate in year-end statutory audits, internal audit examinations and annual examinations conducted by the U.S. regulatory authorities
- Prepare various workpapers that are needed for the preparation of the New York Branch’s annual U.S. income tax returns
- Perform ad-hoc analyses and participate in various special projects
- Assist in identifying and in implementing improvements to accounting and operational processes, internal controls and workflow organization to increase the team’s efficiency and effectiveness
- Bachelor's degree in accounting and at least 5 years of relevant experience in the financial services industry
- Chartered professional accountant (CPA, CA) or U.S. CPA designation; essential
- Knowledge of U.S. GAAP; an asset
- Detail oriented person with effective analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent leadership and communications skills
- Self-starter and team player
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Strong Excel skills, including pivot tables and macros
- Fluent (spoken/written) in French and English. Must possess an excellent command of spoken and written English
Interested in the position? Apply now!
Working at National Bank means having access to competitive working conditions, a wide range of employee benefits, a dynamic work environment and telemedicine services.
National Bank values all aspects of diversity and sees it as a tremendous source of wealth. We want to offer an open, respectful work environment where all employees can achieve their full potential. Senior management has made a concrete commitment to promote this value across all sectors of the organization. We're committed to providing accommodations as needed and ensuring accessibility during the recruitment process and after hiring. If you have any specific needs, please let us know during our initial conversation and we'll be happy to accommodate you.
Unposting Date: 2021-10-21
Job Number: ACC0001O
Posting Date: 2021-10-07