Primary Locations: Montreal, Quebec
Employee Status: Regular
Being a Corporate Debt Strategist at National Bank is being responsible for corporate credit research, and trading strategies to provide our clients and stakeholders with the best recommendations.
This position reports to the Warren Lovely, Managing Director and Head of Fixed Income, Currencies & Commodities (FICC) Strategy.
The FICC Strategy group is part of National Bank Financial Markets (NBF). National Bank Financial Markets (“NBF”) is a full-service, integrated investment dealer with a strong national presence. An established player in the Canadian markets, NBF is committed to adding high calibre resources to its Credit Capital Markets (“CCM”) group.
This analyst would provide coverage for C$ Investment Grade corporate debt, with an emphasis on focus issuers for NBF. Aside from providing analytical support for the trading desk, the Corporate Debt Strategist will analyze various industries (and companies within them) and provide investment recommendations to institutional investors via published research, presentations and teach-ins.
- Demonstrable experience in fundamental investment analysis; an ability to rapidly differentiate valuations between different parts of the capital structure, different outstanding instruments from the same issuer, and an ability to rapidly assemble complex information to determine investment theses
- Sound judgement and ability to rapidly digest legal/documentation to determine covenants, structural subordination, provisions, restricted subsidiaries, cross-default provisions, intercompany loans, and industry developments etc.
- Lead research and analysis projects that will contribute to the overall efficiency of the business unit from a products, service and workflow perspective
- Produce and proactively communicate reports such as company evaluations and earnings updates, relative value analyses, and industry reviews
- Maintain relationships with buy-side credit, rating agency and equity research analysts, as well as the sales, trading and DCM teams
- Host marketing investment meetings with institutional clients, and internal stakeholders
- Assist teams or individuals in the development of new initiatives and business processes including information gathering, model development, analysis, redesign, implementation and monitoring of new processes;
- Ensure all materials and processes developed are in compliance with internal practices and external regulations;
- Act as a subject matter expert, providing advice, business expertise, and recommendations on a variety of initiatives strategic to Financial Markets
- Bachelor's degree in a related area of activity plus five years' relevant experience, OR Master's degree in a related area of activity plus four years' relevant experience
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) preferred
- Demonstrated ability to make judgments regarding credit, risk, and valuation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a prior history of publishing timely investment memorandums or presentations
- Previous experience in financial modelling, with good accounting knowledge to make prudent adjustments. Experience with data visualization tools, Access, Excel, Bloomberg, VBA
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and manage relationships with a high level of professionalism both internally & externally
- Proficient working knowledge of MS Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Bilingual (French and English)
We strive to be an inclusive organization where all employees are valued. National Bank stands out for its many initiatives to promote inclusion, making it a Canada-wide leader in diversity.
JobField: Financial Markets and Treasury
Unposting Date: 2019-02-14
Job Number: FIN008KN
Posting Date: 2019-01-17